Sun Sep 4, 2005. From the valley floor to Clouds Rest (and back)
Hiked up to Half Dome on Saturday. Staying at a lodge just outside of Hwy 140 gate.
Parked near Happy Isles trailhead at 7:15. Temp was 45 degrees, warmed up quickly to 70 degrees. No sweater needed, even to get started.
Wore running shorts and a running shirt.
In a day pack,
|4 liter water MSR water bag with dromedary. Bite valve leaked until I finally got it in the right position. Should probably carry a spare in case it really breaks or falls off.|
|MiniWorks EX Water Filter|
|1 Nalgene 1 L bottle, in case I had trouble with the dromedary (since it had been leaking the day before)|
|Running warmup, long sleeve, which I didn't use|
|Camera, Olympus 8080|
Drank 1 liter of water on the way up to Nevada falls. There I filtered 3 liters, drank 2 on the way up to Clouds Rest, and the other on the way down. 3 liters was just right. Would have needed more had it been warmer.
|Ate a sandwich and an apple for breakfast.|
|2 oatmeal bars and a odwala protein bar on the way up.|
|Some caramel candy, not so good, too sweet. Trail mix would have been much better.|
|Roasted cashews were soooo good, about 2 miles from CR summit. Take more next time|
|Loaf of bread (too much). Ate only 2 sandwiches on top, and 1 orange.|
|From car to top of Nevada Falls, 1:05, via Mist trail.|
|To turn off for CR on Half Dome trail, 2:22 (took some time to pump 3 L water at little yosemite valley)|
|To top of CR, 4:43|
|Stayed on top for 1:35, lunch, relax|
|Back to car, 9:59. Descent took 3:40, no stops except to filter water. Trip down was via JMT.|
Water Filter Info:
MSR MiniWorks EX Filter
This compact filter features new EX technology, which utilizes back pressure to improve the water flow rate.
* New venturi/dampening device also has the added benefit of reducing the force required for each pump stroke
* Ceramic/carbon media can be cleaned over and over for maximum field life
* Effectively removes bacteria and protozoa including giardia and cryptosporidia
* Also removes chemicals including pesticides, industrial pollutants, iodine and chlorine plus taste and odor compounds
* Bottom screws onto an MSR Dromedary® Bag or Nalgene® water bottle for easy operation (both sold separately)
* Easy disassembly lets you troubleshoot and maintain filter in the field
Weight reported dry, without accessories. Made in USA.
MSR MiniWorks EX Filter
Weight 14.6 ounces
Dimensions 7.8 x 3.8 inches
Filter medium Ceramic with carbon core
Removes Protozoa and bacteria
Output 0.83 liters per minute
Pump force 10.4 pounds
Pump strokes per liter 72
Field cleanable Yes